Whether this your first Christmas with a baby or your tenth, now is as good a time as any to start new Christmas traditions. We’ll list some of our favorite Christmas traditions, and we’d love to hear from our readers about your favorite Christmas traditions!
- The twelve days of Christmas. For each of the twelve days before Christmas, purchase a small gift for your child to open. These gifts can be as simple as Christmas drinking straws or Christmas candy. You could also choose to have a theme each year. For instance, one year could be the “Twelve Days of Christmas Storybooks.”
- Purchase or make a new ornament every Christmas. It will be fun to watch the tree fill with ornaments that bring back memories of Christmases past.
- Purchase or make a box, complete with a lid. Every Christmas, put a letter from mom and dad inside the ornament for your little one to read.
- Create a set of twelve or twenty-four cards, each one with an activity printed on it to countdown until Christmas. One activity could be “Bake Christmas cookies.” Another could be “Watch ________ (insert your favorite Christmas movie).”
- Pick a favorite Christmas book to read every Christmas season. Chapter books work well because you can read them for several nights leading up to Christmas.
- Give some love and cheer to your neighbors by caroling at their doors. Take a plate of cookies to bring a little extra sweetness. If your family is uncomfortable doing this activity alone, invite a few friends to harmonize with you.
- Help your children develop a love of the arts by taking them to a special Christmas concert or the Nutcracker every Christmas season.
Now it’s time to hear from you! What are your favorite Christmas traditions?