Although diagraming sentences in English class may have given us the idea that school is boring, we’ve all figured out by now that learning can be fun! And sensory learning is especially enjoyable for little ones.
Sensory play teaches children to investigate and explore using touch, taste, hearing, seeing, and smell. And it helps them to develop cognitively, physically, emotionally, and creatively.
We’ve gathered some fun ideas for sensory play that you can enjoy with your little one!
- Play with musical toys.
- Toss stuffed animals.
- Color with child-safe markers.
- Make a touch book of different textures from your home.
- Sit very quietly outside and try to guess the sounds you hear—birds, children laughing, etc.
- Read a book, using different voices for different characters.
- Ply with colored blocks.
- Take a nature walk and feel leaves, branches, and grass.
And don’t let baby have all the fun! Jump right in and join your little one — he or she will love it even more!